Sunday 17 April 2016

BOOK IDEAS/BINDING

Little Spines is a yearly publication containing stories and poems from the Creative Writing students from RMIT. My aim was to create a contemporary, stylish publication on a low budget. The style of binding I used (Japanese Stab binding) has an abstract resemblance to an actual human spine visually, and also shares many of its characteristics; being quite ornate and fragile, yet extremely crucial, and vigilantly holds everything together.:


An example of mixing mediums, this is a beautiful aesthetic, using back-board and tracing paper, makes a good combination. Something I wish I added within my design, however it complicates printing, and I did not allocate time to experiment enough in this aspect, and is a huge regret in my design decisions.


Classic Book Series by Jesper Olsson, Japanese stab binding. I dont love his craft, but if we were able to get insanely clear lines, I would love this:



Japanese Exhibition Poster: The Great... | Gurafiku: Japanese Graphic Design
Magazine layout, editorial, design:

i liked the minimal design in it. plus the Japanese lettering helps give it a certain aesthetic to it.:





Naughtiness — The Designers United: -- something concealing the cover? plain outside, but take off the cover jacket and its bright or something along these lines?


JAPAN:


bydoctrine:  By DoctrineBy Doctrine TumblrBydoctrine.comInstagramFacebook






Japanese stitching was my first and only idea for binding. I am doing a japanese book, it would suit the aesthetic and I did not experiment with any other ideas. Sometimes your initial idea is your best idea. I plan to place a colour card similar to the image above, on the front and back of the book.  


Eliane Cadieux:


No comments:

Post a Comment