Wednesday 27 April 2016

STUDIO BRIEF 01 - WAYFINDING

Using your developing understanding of typography and visual communication develop a way-finding / navigational system for your chosen environment.
Considering legibility and the user experience you should develop a system, which effectively guides and aids a user through an environment.
The philosophy underpinning any wayfinding, navigational signage system is that of clarity,consistency, and coherence in order to guide the user through an environment in a consistent, convenient and safe manner.
Explore a range of concepts in your research and development of your own ideas. Consider the usage, functionality and display within commercial outlets when resolving this problem.
Not all your investigations should take place on the Mac. Digital image capture methods such as scanning and digital photography allow you to import media from a range of sources (photographs, photocopies, drawings, tracings, found material etc.)
Once you have imported this material how can you manipulate using the tools and capabilities of Photoshop (cropping, selecting, layering, repeating, colour changes, reversing out etc.)




































ctoria Quarter in the heart of Leeds’ city centre is a unique shopping development, which celebrated its 20th Anniversary in 2010. Home to more than 70 of the world’s leading designer brands such as Harvey Nichols, Louis Vuitton, Liz Earle, The White Company, Jo Malone, Vivienne Westwood and Paul Smith, it has become a ‘must see’ destination for millions of style-savvy shoppers...

The famous theatre architect Frank Matcham,  was responsible for building more than 200 theatres and music halls, including the London Palladium and Coliseum, was brought into design an elaborate Victorian Arcade. He used rich marbles, gilded mosaics, handsome cast and wrought iron, as well as carved and polished mahogany, to create two streets, an arcade and the Empire Theatre (now the site of Harvey Nichols).

By the late 1980s, this once prestigious and elaborate area had fallen into commercial decay and ruin. Fortunately for Leeds, the Prudential recognised its full potential and began a painstaking restoration program. Their vision encompassed taking what Matcham had started back in the 19th century, moving it forward to the 20th century and beyond. The company preserved the best from the past and introduced the style and creativity of the present.

I chose to produce a navigational system for Victoria Quarter in Leeds. At first I was excited by the project due to its overall breath-taking architecture and continental atmosphere, and rich grandeur it evoked. I realised after going through the mock up process that this was going to be difficult. Trying to create a design that is appropriate for this location as it needed to be sleek and modern, but luxurious. at the same time, as well as depicting shades of a the victorian era, as the building provokes this.

Seeing as victoria quarter is relatively a small place,, I wanted the map to be as simplistic as possible, whilst still applied to be functionable as a navigational system. I did not want it to be over complicated. I did not do much experimenting with other materials when it came to designing my map. As the utentsils I needed were available digitally. Taking the map off google and using the screenshot as my starting point. I experiented with vectoring shapes to try forge a simple layout.


Here I added more depth to my wayfinding design. This is just an overall templated design, the actual design would differentiate as I see this as a digital project. So the design is interactive. Still I believed there was something missing in the overall design. I realised that the actual way finding design should define productivity and clarity. And move the focus of trying to make it appeal to its environment in the structure that I put the design on.
PICTOGRAMS

Pictograms are used to warn, guide or protect and need to be immediately decipherable. They must get right to the heart of the matter by visually conveying a vital piece of information in such a way that it cannot be misunderstood, and they should therefore be internationally recognisable and independent of culture.

Below are my pictograms I created for my wayfinding design. I wanted them to be very slick and contemporary, as it will be used as a key button in the digital touch screen design. Signs play a key role in a wayfinding system and for mine to be successful, the terminology, design and fixing of these signs must be consistent. I focused on using very little stroke.




Here are mine

Art Deco reflected the plurality of the contemporary world. Unlike its functionalist sibling, Modernism, it responded to the human need for pleasure and escape. In celebrating the ephemeral, Art Deco succeeded in creating a mass style of permanence. Infinitely adaptable, it gave free reign to the imagination and celebrated the fantasies, fears and desires of people all over the world.

Here are a new batch of concept designs, employing the digital screen, here I really tried to push the gradients forward to make it realistic as possible. Using different tonal colours of black, gold and bronze, I finally like the design as I believe it expresses the appropriate style through research I have harmonised the design so if it were placed in VQ it would not be out of place as it matches its enviroment
‘Wayfinding’ is a term used to describe how people find their way around an environment. It is a spatial problem solving process in which orienting decisions are made. These decisions are influenced by a number of factors including the information available, personal knowledge, ability and environmental factors. As well as through the physical design of station environments and the materials, finishes, lighting and public art within them. This was the underpinning factors I took into consideration when designing my wayfinding. I tried to keep the map design as informed as possible, whilst also maintaining a level of fluidity and coherency so it is convenient and done in a safe manner. I wanted it to be informative but not too informative so your overall vision is clogged. It terms of the physical design I experimented with many materials to find the correct finish that appealed to the surrounding enviroment. In this sense I believe my design was sucessful.
Who is Victoria Quarter?
VQ is beautifully designed and a sense of a theatrical ominense is present when you walk through the shopping court. The mix of retailers together with its’ breath-taking architecture and continental atmosphere continue to make it a must-visit destination for millions of visitors and regular shoppers alike.
I have set out to develop a contemporary wayfinding design to facilitate contemporary applications for all mediums. Using my new found knowledge of pictograms to convey vital pieces of information in a simpless coherent style. Along with experimenting with different approaches and mediums in creating my final outcome. I tried to create a functional navigational system specific to my selected enviroment, informed through refined research and development. Choosing carefully and approriately the correct use of colour swatch and colour schemes.

No comments:

Post a Comment