Wednesday 27 April 2016

STUDY TASK 02 - YSP



Brief: Design and develop a range of symbols to act as a secondary/complimentary brand-mark for the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

This past week our class took a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Which I was quite intrigued by because through my own personal findings, I have experimented with Sculpture work in previous projects and find them fascinating and great to edit and manipulate with. (INSERT WORK EXAMPLE) However I realised amongst my peers that they were not as excited by this venture as I was. I understood the “were studying Graphic Design, what does that have to do with sculptures” however I personally completely disagree with that statement as I have found my best work has come from experimenting with all types of material, by sticking completely to Photoshop and Illustration I feel you are limiting your design ideas and innovation.

Below are some pictures I took on my visit:
                                            

Network Thomas Price

A tall bronze statue depicting of a young black man. His broad shouldered figure downcast features subvert the tradition of representing heroic, powerful figures by impressing with his vulnerability. While it is charismatic for the great scale of its dimensions, it is also modest: powerful and powerless at the same time. Depicting to me mainly the everyday man of the 21st century, which seems to stand out from the majority of pieces displayed at YSP.


Henry Moore

Yes he may be one of the greatest British sculptor of the 20th century, however I am not the keenest admirer of his work. I like his approach of style, it is very out of the box and hard to replicate. I just do not really understand them. A perfect representation of post modernism though as if you look at sculptures descending from history. It is this contemporary approach that allows the sculpture to give off less of a general approach. Whereas if we all viewed a Greek statue, the main theme that majority would agree on is the depiction of the powerful god-like design.

Henry Moore

Another Henry Moore sculpture. I do prefer this to the prior. The elegance and simplicity of the design compliments the general shape. Making it appear obvious that even though you would not know, its main conveyance is of a woman, a woman of stature and wealth? On a side note the texture when you actually feel the sculpture it is addicting smooth. I think I was sat there for a good couple of minutes just feeling the sculpture. Luckily no one was around to witness my brief odd moment.

Niki deSaint Phalle
Budda
‘On a psychological level I have all that it takes to be a terrorist,’ she once said, ‘but instead I decided to use guns for good, for art.’ Absolutely love that quote from Phalle. Brought up between Paris and New York, the ex-Vogue model suffered rape, incest, difficult motherhood and an angry divorce. Brave and warrior-like, she lays out her life experience in her work, emphasising fury, frustration and rage at communism, capitalism and society’s gender inequality. Which is hard to fully comprehend at face value, when you look at her work, when you know the story behind the artist it gives their work more of a backbone. Her strong feministic view it apparent in her work, as she tries to revalue, reshape and reconsider the view on woman. This is why I believe she creates such glittering, vivacious sculptures on a monumental scale. On a side note I cannot help but see shades of Henry Matisse in her work. At first glance I was interested in her style however once looking at the backstory, I believe it gives her work more depth. 


Bill Viola Exhibition

They told us strictly no photography.. but I just had to. Bill Viola is an excellent example of an artist who has established video as a vital form of contemporary art. Viola's video installations total environments that envelop the viewer in the image and sound as he employs state of the art technology, which helps aid the precision and direct simplicity in his work. I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like it. That is making me sound overwhelmed with his work. I am not. I am just impressed with his style. It is not that his method is so diverse and intrinsic. I personally do not see putting someone underwater as brilliant display of art. However it was more the environment and space in which the art was displayed which allowed his exhibition as whole to gain this very weird, eerie approach but yet beautiful in the same way, which makes for an interesting contrast. As so many emotions are thrown into his work. I walked out of the exhibition not really knowing what his style was, but what I did know is that it did evoke something within me. By making the entire exhibition in darkness, allowing only his designs to be seen, allows you to feel like your their by yourself, just you and the video it allows it to make it more personal without you even realising. 



This was a very small piece taken from a much bigger sculpture. I went into YSP looking for potential logo ideas and I liked the potential here, simple but if edited and tweaked could represent and demonstrate  the abstract yet colour and vibrance that is YSP. 



I do not know the name of this image, nor who created it. The alignment and stature in this piece makes it far more impactful. I thought the missing limbs and head gives it a more eccentric style.

Lynn Chadwick
Little Girl


Sophie Ryder

A very unique sculpture, I like the distortion and the concept of the design, a concept and idea you do not really see replicated.

It is the idea of mixing human and animalistic elements together, I should have read the idea behind these designs to understand it clearly. But personally it expresses and symbolises lust and fertility. 



This was an animated piece. Working very successfully and you could just tell how powerful and how much more impactful it would be at night. 


Marialuisa Tadei

Marialuisa Tadei


                                     


Experimenting with the mask concept, trying to bring an abstract, simplistic design to demonstrate the overall feel of YSP. 





EXPERIMENTATION:

I focused majority of experimentation efforts with Marialuisa Tadei and Sol Lewitt, to try and forge a brand icon. Lewitt experimentation was meant to be working more with basic elements, from which a seemingly endless array of variations could be made, whilst rejecting the demonstrative emotions of expressionist art. As you can see bottom left in the picture above. Working with a stencil like representation of his sculpture and transforming it into a logo, which expresses and conveys YSP's abstract simplistic sculptures it displays. However I thought this direction was far too simple and not defining enough of a final logo. 

Tadei experimentation was meant to be working with more complex fields of design and a higher level of detail. It is ironic because the designs I thought that were going to replicate more variations did the least and vis versa. 

Top right designs were a mistake, trying to demonstrate and relate to YSP's worldwide renowned poppy designs, however at the time of designing I strangely believed that they were roses instead, so this concept was immediately flawed. I invested a lot of time on a rose stencil which was put to waste however could potentially use it in future projects? Anyway these designs were more with trying to incorporate an image within a design template. However they look crammed and do not really appeal to the approach I am looking for. 

This was a final experimentation I created with Tadei's mosaic tile sculpture (potential final design):
Taking inspiration from the shapes and elements found in nature, Marialuisa Tadei creates sculptures that explore spiritual and symbolic representation. She is interested in opposing states such as light and heavy, life and death, organic and technological, and the metaphorical implications they imbue. It is for these reasons, I thought after creating this draft that I found my final logo. The semantics involved I thought at the time provided a real bases for a correct inception of the project brief. Injecting a hint of colour whilst also maintaining and demonstrating the abstract feel of YSP, and its professional sleek vibe. If we were allowed to work with type I really wanted to work with rearranging the vector shapes coloured red to form 'YSP' however this is purely a image based brief. 

I decided not to go with this as my final draft because from first glance the main part of the logo resembles a skull to the open eye. Which is not the brand representation I wanted for this logo. YSP is a highly respectable renowned sculpture park, home to legendary designers, and this design did not demonstrate that to me. 

Research:


You can see an example of modern styled logo above. The Hepworth designed these logos with David Chipperfield's architectural building as a template for the overall design, providing strong semantic fields within these designs. Using informed design decisions to come up with a final design piece. Which is something I would like to bring to YSP.  


I then began experimenting with more vector shape and stencilling Lynn Chadwick's Little Girl sculpture. Working with different variations and alignment. I managed to come to a final resolution...

FINAL DESIGN:





I chose this as my final design because firstly, I liked how the approach came out and would work well with YSP's current typeface, perhaps placed vertically?  Anyway I chose this design mainly for its image as a brand image. A logo which can be repackaged, resold, reprinted as a design that represents Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Along with demonstrating abstract conceptual work, big and small. Theres also I believe a sense of class to this design which is reached through its simplistic approach. If you go to YSP there is a degree of class displayed throughout the site, maybe perhaps because of its location? Based in Yorkshire. The fields and environment in which these sculptures lay also contribute to the overall beauty. So to me the semantics involved such as; the company, position and location etc. All transcend within this piece, as I believe this design represents the subject matter. It is because of these semantics involved I believe this piece isn't hollow or un-meaningful. It was the correct choice because it could be represented internationally. Along with a logotype, however I believe it grasped the point of serving a visual mark for park. If it included type it would just prove the design more effective. 






































Group Feedback:
  • A very simple, sophisticated logo 
  • Agreed with your final resolution
  • Preferred the first final draft but the final design was still nice 
  • Nice abstract design
  • Could have experimented more with the idea perhaps changed perspective  

No comments:

Post a Comment