Thursday 28 April 2016

STUDIO BRIEF 03 - COLLABORATIVE PRACTICE

BSH Brand Center (Bosch, Siemens, Gaggenau, Neff), Belgium Concept & design by Creneau International - www.creneau.com:

USINA DEL ARTE / IMAGEN INSTITUCIONAL
9h (Nine Hours), Japan by Hiromura Design Office 2009:
Smart graphic applied on paving units. Cheap and functionable design.

This is where the coinage idea spawned from, as a team we experimented with a range of ideas, however majority lacked in practicality, and would be difficult to actually achieve. Using coinage as the medium of way-finding felt like a unique idea at the time. 










Initial poster designs:


This was an original first drafted idea, I do not like this design, however our concept was with coins, so I tried to work around the theme, using a piggybank to convey the purpose.  I was trying to find ways to promote the exhibition with a symbol of money, but not just a generic symbol, something slightly more out of the box. I do not like the type in this design, it was just to accomodate the vectorised pig. As a concept and early inception of the brief I liked the idea of incorporating the pig because it fit well with our overall theme of coinage.

I was looking into the location, Bank House, and I stumbled across a design, I love this design, its very minimal in it’s approach yet beautifully created with vectorised shapes. This is an idea I wanted to experiment with, as I thought it could work well as a poster, it would be engaging with colour and shape, and would represent the exhibition well, as the poster would have more context and relevancy. 





I wanted my design, to be clear, direct, simplistic in its approach, but relative and eye-capturing, the concept of two block colours contrasting against each other. It is plain, but you focus on it and its clear in it’s message. Displaying block text so you cannot miss it, in a stencil design. These tools can make a poster very engaging, in its simplicity, as it is direct in it’s intent.

I like the architecture, gridded blocks can create a good contrasting shape if it is designed as a stencil, against a contrasting colour. It could look good as long as it does not distract from the content.





Our initial colour palette.


This was my new take on the design. I liked the outcome, believed it fitted the theme nicely, and everyone was positive with the final design in the group. The content is the most important part, so I wanted to illustrate this in my design, and the overall design to act as background noise.




This was the original template design, for where the content should go.

Considerations:

- Location
- Exhibitors
- Contact Details
- Format

I think I will stick with this grided layout, it is easily accessable, readble and functionable, these are the first elements I need to producing my poster and an effecient/informative way to establish content. 

In terms of the opening night invites, I took this deep into consideration and believe if I have a poster design, this can be sent out as the invitation. Eve from our group designed a nice envelope that fits well with the aesthetic, and all the information needed is on the poster already. 

One regret from this brief was not delving deeper into the content displayed. Now that the process is over, I realise we should have designed a social media template, this really should have gone on the poster, perhaps a hashtag with licensetoprint etc. It’s the way exhibitions and events are run now , and is the best method possible to get correct exposure, it could have been tweeted from Leeds Art twitter account, this would be so much more accessable than a printed invite ever would. In world that is dominated by social media, this should have been a main concern for us as a group.





I made the design decision to use the poster as an invitation. It had all the necessary content. 
Considerations included are:
- Location
- Content
- Contact Details
- Format

- Opening night Invites



Feedback:

Overall feedback was positive on our concept initially, as it was a unique take on the brief. The feedback we received was very resourceful, in helping us to correct our mistakes, the 2nd years were very informative in critiquing our process. 
The main points were:

- have a recurring style
- good concept
- difficult to do, would need a lot of coins
- not all coins would look the same colour
- not enough visual evidence of brief
- lack of teamwork evident
- change the name

We made the decision as a group to change the name, going back to my original idea of  ‘In the Money’  I thought this was the most suitable title as it expresses the nature of the exhibition. 


I also needed to make changes to my poster and the content, as we developed a new logo, and in order to attain to a recurring style, I updated the font, so we have the same typeface in all our designs.







No comments:

Post a Comment